Easi-Fix Lateral Restraint
A stainless steel lateral restraint designed to restrain the whole of the brick outer structure of a wall to the inner floor joists.
Lateral restraints are designed to restrain the whole of the brick outer structure to the floor joists to provide structural stability. Lateral restraints are manufactured from 304 Austenitic Stainless Steel rods and are 8mm in diameter. They are supplied in standard lengths of 1 and 1.5 metres.
Lateral restraints perform a function that would normally be carried out by using angle straps screwed onto the joists.
The angle strap method has several drawbacks:
- The disturbance caused to the householder is quite considerable.
- The fixing to the joist is only as strong as the shear strength of the screw heads.
- If there is fitted furniture or bathroom suites these have to be removed which would involve using specialist trades such as joiners and plumbers.
The Permagard Lateral Restraint can be fitted from outside the property with a minimum of disturbance - in most cases just a lifting of the floorboards to determine the position of the joists. The same restraint is used to suit different situations i.e. joists bearing into the wall and joists parallel to the wall.
Installing lateral restraints
- Drill a 14mm hole through both brick outer and inner leaf.
- Push the long restraint into the pilot hole and attach the lateral restraint fixing key.
- The lateral restraint is slowly wound through the joists leaving the outer end recessed approximately 15mm.
- The outer end can now be tested for strength of fix (typically 5Kn - 10Kn)
- The outer end of the lateral restraint is then resin bonded into the brick work and finished off with either mortar or mastic.
- 14mm drill bit (long enough to pass through both skins of brick work)
- Lateral restraint fixing key 8mm
- Masonry drill
- Either Permagard Polyester Resin or Permacem Anchor Grout
Easi-Fix - Specialist Solutions. Made possible.
If you have any questions about the types of lateral restraints you need or how to to install lateral restraints for structural stability then contact our technical experts on 0117 982 3282.
At Permagard, we stock a wide range of structural repair products and are always happy to offer advice. Our Easi-Fix range is precision engineered, highly effective and offers a long-lasting solution for structural repair.
- Manufactured from 304 Austenitic Stainless Steel
- Easy to install
- Minimal disturbance compared to angle straps
|Size:||8mm x 1m / 1.5m|
|Country of Manufacture:||United Kingdom|
Need more information?
- Lateral Restraint Data Sheet (199.6 KB)